Optimist, Activist,Optometrist and Reservist. Welcome to my world.

Friday 29 February 2008

The LensMen and the Eye Site

The Lens Men and THE EYESITE
ANNUAL ROCK N' ROLL



It has been a great 3 months for me this summer break! WHY? You may ask.. well... Because I totally abstained from studying. However, bumming and living off my parents seemed completely unethical and makes me look like the freeloader I already am.. so.. I decided to WORK. Yes.. WWWorkkkk...*sniff sniff*..

Working with ' The Lens Men and the EyeSite'

Working with the Lens Men has been an EYE-opening experience. Although my stay there was a short one.. I enjoyed every single day of it. I believe that, it was possible because of the family-like working environment, which encourages openess and staff cohesion.




I learnt A LOT from the optometrists.. Roger and Allain , and the Opticians too, namely Andrew, Andy and Collin, whom I worked closely with in The Eye Site. The shops were pretty well- equipped, with Binocular Vision Testing/Colour Vision Testing equipment and Hand held contact tonometers (without need for any form of anaesthesia) on top of the usual slit lamp/K. We optoms generally got lots of freedom and space to perform clinical examinations here.. safe to say.. this place is an optom's wonderland!

In Roger's and Andy's combined WORDS of WISDOM (loosely translated from Mandarin and Hokkien):
"We generally spend more time in our lives working than with our families.
When we get home, our family have gone to sleep.
When we wake up, they've either gone to work or to school.
We spend more time with the people in our shop than with our kin,
that's why we're family."

... and that is why, we work together and we play together.. The way I see it.. a family that works together.. STAYS together!

I got to see quite a number of different cases and in general gained more confidence as an optometrist.. (hey.. got 'shirt' (Andy Voice) one hor..).

Apart from being able to develop myself professionally..

http://www.thelensmen.com/promotions/viewfull.asp?c=184796

I also learnt.. *gasp* Retail Optometry. Retail Optometry is currently not offered as a full credit subject in our syllabus. However, I managed to learn some of it through The Eye Site Institute.

'Retail Optometry' is about finding the right product to satisfy the most basic or minimum need(s) of the patient, followed by informing them of better options, add-ons and healthier or more comfortable alternatives; and in the process educating the patient on the latest developments in the profession.

Most of which I picked up from the experienced Opticians whom I have worked with. Cool huh..

Work aside, we also had FUN!

Click the link below or here for more photos.

http://www.thelensmen.com/promotions/viewfull.asp?c=185074


I'd like to thank the LensMen and The Eye Site in particular for the wonderful experience we shared during this short period. Thanks for being so willing to teach and guide me.. and coming to my rescue especially when it comes to spectacle adjustments and Progressives!!!

Special Thanks:

I'd also like to thank OOB member, Mr Peter Koh and Dion Koh - for obvious reasons, Desiree - for allowing me to participate in so many eye screenings for the less fortunate and other charitable events (my Karma definitely benefitted immensely from this); Kenny, Priscilla and Meng Sin for their $upport; and Jass - for showing me exactly what a 'Purchasing Manager' does and always entertaining me with the troubles she faces in Maple Story.

Once again, a BIG THANK YOU (especially those I missed out.. cant list everyone ok?) and good bye to everyone .. TILL WE MEET AGAIN!

(which i believe would be soon.. not so easy to get rid of me ok! hehe.. )
Disclaimer (Dear Desiree Corner): The opinions expressed herein, are the writer's own. They do not present as fact and is purely for the entertainment of the writer and a productive means to combat boredom in Australia... topped with lots of cheese.

Andy's Corner:

ANDY TAN - English translation dictionary 1.0 (under construction)

1. 'shirt' - cert ; certificate e.g. Eh, I got 'shirt' one hor

(please submit more 'definitions' so that I can edit this space soon!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Desiree said...

I love cheese and I love humour -- thanks for all the nice words about your three months! We have received so many compliments about our three holiday optoms that we can't wait to have you back. Enjoy school while you can, thanks for all the hard work and initiative you showed!